Wednesday 23 January 2013

My Beef Barley Scratch Soup

My first recipe blog.

Its freezing here, you go outside and you feel like your hands are getting tingly frost bite in about 10 minutes (the time it takes to sometimes get the 3 girls buckled in).

Beef (I used stewing beef, could use ground or sausage without the casings)
Onion soup mix
Oregano
Pepper
Seasoning salt (if wanted)
Granulated Garlic
Parsley
Paprika
Corn (canned or if frozen thaw(microwave) and drain)
Barley (fresh pearled barley)
Split pea's (my case green pea's)

I started with Stewing Beef chunks in about 2 cups of water I used 2 lbs of Beef. I let it simmer since noon.
I then added a packet of Onion soup mix, 1/2 tsp of each.
Oregano, Pepper, Seasoning Salt, Oregano and about 2 tbsp of Parsley.
A swig of  Worcestershire sauce.
Let that simmer then!
6 cups of Water (my husband who's been trucking will be home tonight. Have to make a hearty meal)
2 cans of Corn (one was creamed so I added 3 tbsp of beef bouillon)
1/2 cup Barley (awesome fibre)
1/2 cup Split Pea's
2 Carrots chopped up
2 big shakes of Granulated Garlic AND Paprika

Let it simmer for at least an hour, and you will have amazing and healthy hearty soup.
If you want to change it up you can always add a can of tomato (spaghetti) sauce, but I skipped out on that and it was still loved by all.

Shekinah

No comments:

Post a Comment